Thursday 15 October 2015

Where are the O.R. professionals hiding?

As those who work in the O.R. field know, if you are talking to someone outside the field it is quite likely that they will look at you with a blank face when you mention the words 'Operational Research.'

Having been employed at The OR Society for over two years I have got used to this and have a pre prepared spiel that comes out every time someone asks where I work or what I do.

In days gone by many organisations would have had a dedicated O.R. team but now those analysts tend to be spread across an organisation and have a wide variety of job titles.  When I have spoken at a number of events I have found that a number of professionals, once I've explained what O.R. is, have actually realised that although they wouldn't have previously classed themselves as an O.R. professional, what they actually do would fall under the banner of Operational Research.

I know there are many O.R. professionals out there, my question is 'Where are they?'
I'd be really interested to hear your views on this and what organisations employ Operations Researchers (or professionals who carry out O.R. related tasks under a different job title).

The OR Society wants to increase the awareness of O.R.  Lets get O.R. talked about and find out where all the O.R. professionals are hiding!

Please comment on this blog or contact me via:
Email
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pro Bono O.R. webpage 
The OR Society webpage


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pro Bono OR moving elsewhere

Pro Bono OR projects can now be found here:  https://www.theorsociety.com/get-involved/pro-bono-or/open-pro-bono-projects/ This blog will no...