Friday 25 May 2018

Taking the reins and ready to ride - The new face of Pro Bono






Hi all,

Just to let you know, my name is Amy Hughes and I will be the new face of Pro Bono OR as of July 2018, taking over from Hope Meadows. I know that I have a lot to live up to after all of Hope’s great work, but as she moves onto new experiences in the beautiful country of Uganda, I will do my best to sustain the progress that Pro Bono has and continues to make.   


Sparing you any ‘A New Hope’ Star Wars puns, I would like to take a minute and introduce myself.  I have a passion for travel, charity work and activism and managed to combine all of these following the completion of my Bachelor's degree, moving to the USA and volunteering my time to help undeserved communities. Upon my return to the UK I have worked in project management and policy for the third sector, spending the last couple of years at two Birmingham based charities. As such, I have worked heavily with both service providers and users to increase efficiency and empower vulnerable communities and individuals. This experience has given me the invaluable opportunity to understand the inner workings of the charity sector; their wants, needs and pressures.

My small role in an incredibly large sector,  that although was not always the most efficient, was producing incredibly meaningful change, made me realise I wanted to be part of something bigger, a larger role to bring about a larger change. So here I am. 

Having used OR in multiple sectors and settings, it is easy to see its versatility and the change it can create to those with charitable aims within the third sector. I am excited to take on the opportunity to harness the power of the OR society in helping civil society groups and charitable organisations tackle issues and make a real difference. 

To me, Pro Bono OR is all about recognising the incredible charitable work undertaken across the UK and attempting to sustainably develop charities no matter their size or scope and also to continue to up-skill our already talented volunteers.

I look forward to engaging with many of you throughout my new role! If you wish to get in touch my email is amy.hughes@theorsociety.com   

As business continues as usual, don't forget to get involved with our upcoming events and register for our 'All About Data' on 7th June, 2-5pm - our OR in the Third Sector Special Interest Group’s joint meeting with the Royal Statistical Society! Speakers include Silvia Laraia, Tracey Gyateng and Amaka Nwagbara.
Register now and find out more information here: http://bit.ly/2ruH7sL 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pro Bono OR moving elsewhere

Pro Bono OR projects can now be found here:  https://www.theorsociety.com/get-involved/pro-bono-or/open-pro-bono-projects/ This blog will no...