Many thanks to Dr Gunes Erogan for making this free resource available. Please see all the details below:
VRP Spreadsheet Solver is a freely available open-source tool for representing, solving, and visualising the results of Vehicle Routing Problems. VRP Spreadsheet Solver runs on Excel, an interface most businesses use or are at least comfortable with.
The main challenge of logistics problems, driving distances and durations are acquired through a public Geographical Information System (GIS), facilitating its use.
Using VRP Spreadsheet Solver, it is possible to:
- Define the location of the home base (depot) of the fleet and the locations of the customers
- Convert the addresses of the depot and the customer locations to coordinates
- Compute the driving times and distances between all locations
- Define multiple types of vehicles with the associated operating costs and capacities
- Manually define your service routes by choosing customer locations from drop-down menus
- Visualise the solution on a map supplied by a GIS
- Use the solver to find low-cost (or high profit) routes.
Upon free registration, VRP Spreadsheet Solver can be downloaded from the web site of the Working Group on Vehicle Routing and Logistics Optimization within EURO, the Association of the European Operational Research Societies (VeRoLog) at http://verolog.deis.unibo.it/vrp-spreadsheet-solver.
A video tutorial is available on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enCBp2lBn64.
The developer of the file (Dr Gunes Erdogan, G.Erdogan@bath.ac.uk) is willing to provide free basic consultancy for its use through e-mail and Skype, in exchange of letters of support and acknowledgement.
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VRPSpreadsheetSolver?ref=hl