Project Green Revelation
Investigation of external data to discover factors affecting food poverty and using this information to identify areas where local initiatives may be needed.
The Trussell Trust has recently launched a new and ambitious vision to end the need for food banks in the UK. The Trussell Trust has considerable internal data on its foodbanks but wants to use external data in order to gain further in-depth insights to provide strategic direction towards delivery of the vision. Details of this project will be negotiated with the client; it is anticipated that the volunteer will:
1. Discuss detailed requirements and available internal data with Dave Massey, the Head of Strategic Intelligence.
2. Investigate the relevant Trussell Trust data and reports, together with potential sources of external data, such as ONS data.
3. Produce a detailed specification of the project deliverables and timescales, and agree this with the client.
4. Analyse the available internal and external data, producing results in the form of clear charts. Identify factors affecting food poverty and examine areas that are outliers. Identify areas where local initiatives are required.
5. As agreed in the specification, produce a written report with findings together with any other agreed deliverables such as a presentation of the findings and an accessible tool which the Trussell Trust could continue to use as data sources are updated.
Some experience in the use of government and other open statistics would be useful. Knowledge of which datasets are available and appropriate to use would be helpful. Production of a tool in Tableau would be of interest. This project would suit either a single volunteer or a team.
Time commitment: To be discussed and agreed with the client. The scope of the project can be negotiated to suit volunteer availability.
Location: All the work can be carried out remotely.
If you feel you are able to offer your assistance please complete the application form and return along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11th December 2020.
The OR Society fully supports equal opportunities. As such, we welcome applications from the partially sighted or blind, or those with disabilities.
Information about the organisation:
The Trussell Trust is a NGO and charity that works to end the need for food banks in the UK. It supports a network of over 1,200 food bank centres to provide emergency food and compassionate, practical support to people in crisis, while campaigning for long-term change to the structural issues that lock people into poverty.
For further information about The Trussell Trust please visit https://www.trusselltrust.org/
For further information about the Pro Bono OR scheme, please visit: www.theorsociety.com/Probono or email ProBonoOR@theorsociety.com