As Pro Bono O.R continues to help third sector organisations, our volunteers endlessly solve diverse problems using a range of software and analytical tools. We have compiled an evolving list of software tools which help to solve different types of problem. These tools are useful, not only for those working on our third sector projects, but also for O.R professionals looking to enhance their O.R. toolkit.
These software tools cover a variety of analytical modelling techniques, including: statistical analysis, data mining, system dynamics and forecasting. The list so far includes over 65 tools across a range of areas including:
· Statistical analysis (e.g. PSPP, R)
· Data visualisation (e.g. D3, Gephi, Vizable)
· Geospatial and mapping (e.g. QGIS, GDAL, MapsData)
· Programming languages (e.g. Python, Ruby)
· Databases (e.g. PostGres, SQLlilte, ArangoDB)
· Optimisation (e.g. Pyomo, OpenSolver)
· Simulation (e.g. SimPy, Insight Maker)
· Supply Chain (e.g. OpenBoxes, Odoo)
The list can be accessed at: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Dropbox%20links?preview=Useful+Software+List.xlsx
The list is ever-evolving and we would welcome further contributions or to hear about any tools or software you have successfully used in the past. Ideally the software should be free to use. Please email any suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to find out more about volunteering for a project, please visit http://www.theorsociety.com/Pages/Probono/Probono.aspx for more info.